Surprise! During CES 2022, Sony has revealed the name and first details of the next generation of PlayStation VR. To the shock of no one, Sony’s next iteration of PS VR is aptly named PlayStation VR2. Also featured in the segment was a first shot of the PSVR2 controllers named Sense Controllers.
Innovations from the previous headset include:
- 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, and foveated rendering. With an OLED display, players can expect a display resolution of 2000×2040 per eye and smooth frame rates of 90/120Hz.
- With inside-out tracking, PS VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the VR headset.
- PS VR2 Sense Technology combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D Audio, and the innovative PS VR2 Sense controller to create an incredibly deep feeling of immersion.
- With eye tracking, PS VR2 detects the motion of your eyes, so a simple look in a specific direction can create an additional input for the game character.
- Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers from the PS VR2 Sense controllers, enable players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way.
In-depth specifications can be found on the PlayStation Blog.
Guerilla Studio Director, Jan-Bart Van Beek, dished some details on a game created exclusively for the headset; Horizon Call of The Mountain. The game is being designed and built from the ground up to take advantage of the new hardware. Sony having one of their key franchises to showcase the headset’s capabilities further shows how important VR is for the company.
The best PS VR content was that of which was created by PlayStation’s internal studios. I expect nothing less as Guerilla has been firing on all cylinders for years. Firesprite Studios is co-developing the game, and their experience with VR (The Persistence Series, The Playroom Series) provides a huge amount of optimism.
There is currently no projected release date.
Leave a Reply